Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2001 20:34:07 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Scott Mitchell" <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
Cc:        "Wilko Bulte" <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Time for my first backup, how do I install a DDS drive??

Wilko hit the problem in a separate e-mail:  I had to have a tape in the drive!
Now I'm full of nostalgia--I haven't had to worry about actually mounting tapes
on drives since the days when the tape was on an open reel!

Anyway, once I put a tape in the drive, the mt command worked fine.  Now I need
to try my first backup.

Some questions that I couldn't find clear answers for, though:

1. Will dump backup files that are locked by readers?  What about files locked
by writers?
2. If the answer to question 1 is "no," how can I backup the root filesystem or
other filesystems that always have some files allocated to someone?