Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 2004 18:43:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        ticso@cicely.de, ticso@cicely12.cicely.de
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Opinions about using USB serial numbers

In message: <20040320052007.GC33602@cicely12.cicely.de>
            Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de> writes:
: I have a lot to do with systems using many USB devices of the same
: kind.
: Currently device are named acording to their probing order.
: That result in the problematic that device names can change after
: reboot or replugging in different order.
:
: I would like to add functionality for creating alias devnodes
: including the serial numbers (if the device has one setup).
: E.g. for a ucom(4) device you will get /dev/ucom0 and ucom.serialnumber.
: If the device has no serial numer there will be just /dev/ucom0
: as befor.
:
: Another solution could be to create the nodes in a tree form:
: /dev/usbchannel0/hubport1/pubport2/ucom
: That would work for devices without serial numbers too, but I
: personally dislike this way.

I'd rather that we have a generic binding of a device instance number
to a pnp location.

However, having said that, you can use devd to extract the information
from the node and then create a symbolic link...

Warner