Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:51:14 +0800
From:      Stephen Liu <satimis@icare.com.hk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fail to start KDE

>>- snip -
>>

>>2)
>>After starting 3 'Xterm windows' I can start KDE 3.1 from any one of the
>>'Xterm window' with;
>>
>># startkde
>>
>>It worked with KDE started.
>>

>>3) On INIT 3/text mode I can login either as 'root' or as 'user' with
>>correct password without problem
>>

>I haven't used xdm in ttys for a long time, and suspect this is an
>obsolete method.  If you enter "kdm &" at a root prompt, kdm should
>start.

Hi Mike,

Tks for your advice which works.

What is '&' for

>I don't see why you shouldn't put it into /usr/local/etc/rc.d
>to make it work on startup, and I am pretty sure I used to run it
>that way.

/usr/local/etc/rc.d  is a directory.  Whether you recommend to create a
file with only a single line :- 'Kdm &' (without quote) on it and save
it to  /usr/local/etc/rc.d/

Shall I 'chmod 775' the file created?  Files in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
directory have an extension '.h'.  Shall I name the file as xxx.h?

TIA

B.R.
Stephen