Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 2015 20:14:38 -0800
From:      Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@gmail.com>,  "freebsd-pf@freebsd org" <freebsd-pf@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Controlling P2P with PF

On 1/19/2015 8:06 AM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> So I found this link while trying to figure out of PF can control P2P -
> ttp://www.benhup.com/?mf=freebsd&sf=freebsd8.2-p9_04_peerblock
>
> I tried using it, but I could still download using utorrent from my network.
>
> Does this mean I am beating a dead horse, or I have my filter rules in bad
> order or something I am missing?

Yes, you're beating a dead horse.  A torrent client will use any open
port it can get, and the stuff you really do want to stop runs the
torrent over SSL (i.e., you can't tell it apart from HTTPS traffic).
All you can do is rate-limit the bandwidth hogs, then deal with people
upset about poor streaming video performance.