Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 1997 08:55:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NT4, FBSD, different disks and booting

Sorry for the followup to my followup.  Brain fade at the end of the
day.

> Just to follow up with the final solution I settled on, here is one
> way to at least avoid having to boot from a floppy.  Thanks to several
> people who responded with suggestions.  Note that I reinstalled
> NT and DOS 6.22 such that there is an initial DOS FAT file system
> 100MB in size with the rest of the disk being NT using NTFS.  I
> have not tested this solution on a 100% NTFS IDE boot disk (although
> I think it should work there).  This is on FreeBSD 2.2.2 from the WC
> CDROM and NT 4.0 Workstation.
>
> cd /usr/src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot and edit start.S to produce:
>
> diff start.S start.S.orig
> 136a137
> >	mov $0x81,%dl

Obviously, this does no one any good unless they are using 2.2.2RELEASE.
Here is a generous context diff for someone using another version:

*** start.S.orig	Tue Jul 29 04:18:00 1997
--- start.S	Tue Jul 29 04:22:09 1997
***************
*** 127,146 ****
--- 127,147 ----
  	jmp	load

  hd:	/**** load sector 0 into the BOOTSEG ****/
  	data32
  	mov	$0x0201, %eax
  	xor	%ebx, %ebx	/* %bx = 0 */
  	data32
  	mov	$0x0001, %ecx
  	data32
  	andl	$0xff, %edx
+ 	mov	$0x81, %dl
  	/*mov	$0x0080, %edx*/
  	int	$0x13
  	data32
  	jb	read_error

  	/* find the first 386BSD partition */
  	data32
  	mov	$PARTSTART, %ebx
  	data32
  	mov	$NUMPART, %ecx

Also, these URLs have pertinent discussions of the multiboot issue.

  http://www.devious/com/freebsd/
  http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~sedmison/directboot.html

Thanks to jas@slugvine.demon.co.uk (John Stark) for pointing these
out.  Also, don't forget to read the FAQ entry on NT/FreeBSD booting.