Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 2009 11:57:44 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Jon Radel <jon@radel.com>
Subject:   Re: NOW what?

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 11:10:15AM -0800, Jon Radel wrote:

> Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> >	My new server is back out of harm's way, but now, upon reboot, no
> >	mail.  I have tail -f maillog and get "Domain not found"
> >
> >	Yes, i did edit my DNS files, but I think i have a backup.  Can
> >	anybody clue me in so i don't do this by mistake again?  thanks.
> >

> Are we talking about ethic.thought.org?  (Personally I think it's a bit
> arrogant of you to assume we all remember the details of your network
> from week to week, but I'm a grouch, and other's mileage almost
> certainly varies.)
>
> Is your mail server on ethic.thought.org?  If so, you're probably just
> running into a race condition, given that your *only* nameserver for
> thought.org is also on ethic.  Or at least your only announced
> nameserver.  In other words, your mailserver is quite possibly starting
> up, attempting a dns lookup and timing out, all before your nameserver
> is up and running.
>
> What happens if you restart just your mailserver at this time?
>
> If that doesn't resolve the matter, give us some details about where
> your nameserver and mailserver live, and give us the contents of
> /etc/resolv.conf on the mailserver, and tell us for which e-mail
> addresses e-mail isn't flowing.
>
> --Jon Radel
> jon@radel.com

	Well, apologies all around, more or less.  To resolve my DNS problems
	I just copied over my backup SAVED/db.thought.org to my newer, broken
	copy, updated the Serail njmber, and restarted things.

	It was a good lesson that I should NOT have ever dared to mess
	around with IPv6 ... but I did.  And yup, after moving the server
	everything restarted.  And that v6 stuff busted things.

	[ten mins later with coffee kicking in]:: a question on the
	nameserver stuff: given that I have only one ISP, how could I have
	another nameserver?  ethic is DNS, mail, and web.  I've got two
	secondary nameservers.  One in Dallas, a second in England.

	I did restart dovecot last night; it didn't help.

p0 11:44 <ethic> [1031] cat resolv.conf
domain  thought.org
nameserver      10.47.0.230

	What I really think broke things was to have left the AAAA addr rec
	in their blindly.  :

			NS 	ns1.thought.org.
@                       IN      AAAA 2002:d1b4:d5d2::

--