Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 2006 09:32:53 +0200
From:      Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        robert@letsget.bz
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question bout migrating from 4.X tree to 5.x or even 6.x

Robert Yoon wrote:
> I am planning on upgrading from the 4.x tree to the 6.x tree.
> I have been reading online and have found little or no reference
> information.

I think a lot of stuff was written when 5.3 was announced, that was when
5.x branch was declared "stable" IIRC.

> I would like to actually do this without a make world scenario, and have
> read some info bout booting off a usb device with 6.0 on it and copying
> stuff over.
> Anyone know of or heard bout this by any chance?

If you have an extra machine or can afford the downtime, then you might
save yourself a lot of work by simply doing a clean install this time.
IIRC this was the "recomended method" for upgrading 4.x to 5.x.

Part the reason I guess is that there has been a lot of reorganizing so
building and installing from src may leave a lot of junk around.

Recently make targets, "delete-old" and "delete-old-libs", have been
added but I'm not sure if that would clean up after 4.x.

> Also what recommendations would you make if you were to upgrade from 4.x
> tree to 5 or 6?

I think the major jump is going from 4.x to 5.x, I have since 5.x made
incremental upgrades to 6.x without any problems. So, you might as well
go straight to 6.x and skip 5.x entirely.

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                                  web: www.locolomo.org
S/MIME Certificate: www.daemonsecurity.com/ca/8D03551FFCE04F06.crt