Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 08:58:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Peter Shpak <s_ain_t@yahoo.com>
To:        Krzysztof Parzyszek <kparz@iastate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PS/2 mouse

if you are starting the mouse daemon before you get to
X then the mouse is at /dev/sysmouse
i found that the best way to set up an IntelliMouse
with X is to say the following:

Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier and driver

    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "Auto"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/sysmouse"
    Option "Buttons" "5"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

the above makes the mouse wheel work as well.

arz@iastate.edu> wrote:
> I tried to hook a PS/2 mouse (IntelliMouse) to my
> FreeBSD box and I couldn't
> make it work with X 4.0.2. I did some experimenting
> and I can't quite
> remember particular symptoms with different
> configurations, but problems
> included:
> - X server not starting at all (no core pointer)
> - X server starting but mouse pointer not moving
> - X server starting but mouse pointer jumping all
> over the screen
>
> `cat /dev/psm0' usually resulted in `Device busy'
> (that was the reason
> why X couldn't see the mouse).
>
> The mouse was installed on irq12, detected during
> boot, no flags passed
> to the driver.
>
> I'm using a KVM switch, but I tried to use the mouse
> with and without it.
> Currently I have the mouse hooked up via the
> PS/2---serial adapter, but
> I feel that's not the Right Way.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> --
>   ,oOo.Bc -=EE    Krzysztof Parzyszek
> <hektor@iname.com> 11/29/2000 3:41pm
> -'7' `L'                            ---Entropy isn't
> what it used to be...

message