Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 00:47:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      chad@anasazi.com (Chad R. Larson)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   documentation suggestion

I just spent a couple of hours trying to put together my first "package"
under FreeBSD.  I had come to the conclusion that the "@srcdir" pseudo
filename in the contents file was broken.  I solved my riddle by reading
the source code to pkg_create.  That's why we're all here, right?

Here's the contents file I was trying to use:

    @name ediff-v2
    @owner bin
    @group bin
    @srcdir /usr/local/src/ediff
    @cwd /usr/local/bin
    ediff
    @cwd /usr/local/man/man1
    ediff.1

You've probably already spotted the error.  Here's the file that finally
worked:

    @name ediff-v2
    @owner bin
    @group bin
    @cwd /usr/local/bin
    @srcdir /usr/local/src/ediff
    ediff
    @cwd /usr/local/man/man1
    @srcdir /usr/local/src/ediff
    ediff.1

Silly me.  I took the word "override" in the man page literally.  I
quote:

    @srcdir directory
    Sets the internal directory pointer for _creation only_ to directory.
    That is to say that it overrides @cwd for package creation but
    not extraction.

How about instead for the second sentence to read "Works just like @cwd
except it is ignored during extraction."

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)                          Brother, can you paradigm?
602-870-3330    chad@anasazi.com     chad@anasaz.UUCP      chad@dcfinc.com