Date:      Sat, 1 May 1999 14:13:56 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   boot floopies problems

I can create boot floppies under DOS, no problem.
          C:\TEMP>fdimage kern.flp a:

          C:\TEMP>fdimage mfsroot.flp a:

But when it comes to freebsd, I lose big time.

          # cd 3.1-19990429-STABLE
          # dd if=floppies/kern.flp of=/dev/floppy
          2880+0 records in
          2880+0 records out
          1474560 bytes transferred in 7.475212 secs (197260 bytes/sec)

          # dd if=floppies/kern.flp of=/dev/rfd0
          dd: /dev/rfd0: Input/output error
          1+0 records in
          0+0 records out
          0 bytes transferred in 2.700567 secs (0 bytes/sec)

From what I understand of dd, the floppy doesn't have to be formatted, or
mounted.  Is that correct?

Also, the floppies in question work fine if I use fdimage but not dd.  Are
these bad floppies [insert scolding sound here] or inept operaters [blush]?

For that matter, why does the same floppy with work fdimage but not dd?

cheers

--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited
The FreeBSD Diary     - http://www.FreeBSDDiary.org/freebsd/