Date:      Fri, 27 May 2011 13:57:26 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        "tom@diogunix.com" <tom@diogunix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GPRS/UMTS device for a FreeBSD notebook ?

On 5/27/2011 1:05 PM, tom@diogunix.com wrote:

> Are there any recommendations on with which hardware get GPRS/UMTS/WLAN
> running on a FreeBSD notebook ?

Support in RELENG_8 is pretty good for most things out there. If you
want to use a mini-pcie card, the Sierra works well here in Rogers land.
 Generally, I would stick with what your carrier provides since if you
need support, they wont help you if the stick is not sold by them.  And
I mean support as in, "hey, are you sure this SIM is active" kind of
thing as opposed to help setting it up in Windows.

For USB, we have used Sierra, ZTE, Ovation.  The recent ZTEs that Rogers
gives away seem fairly stable.  The trouble is that the guts inside
often change...

	---Mike

--
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400