Date:      Sun, 8 Mar 1998 18:53:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Weirdness with rm

	This is something I've always wondered about, but didn't have a
chance to ask. :)  If I try to rm a file that I don't have permissions
for, rm first asks me if I want to override, then tells me that it can't
delete the file anyway. I realize that there are situations where rm does
override permissions, but it seems to me that if it can't override the
permissions anyway, the two checks are superfluous.

	Is there some reason that rm wouldn't do the "absolute" check
before it asks if I want to override the perms? Here is an example:

 73$ rm *.DIST
override rw-r-----  root/bin for rc.conf.5.DIST? y
rm: rc.conf.5.DIST: Permission denied

Curious,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest