Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 13:02:43 +0200
From:      "scott.Dukes" <scott@kryptonite.co.za>
To:        "'Nick Slager'" <nicks@albury.net.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: HELP!

Hi Nick,

> Most likely your userland binaries and kernel are out of sync. Did you
> build a new kernel from the new sources and install it?

Actually its even more complex, what I neglected to mention earlier is that
I had been trying to upgrade (unsuccesfully) to 4.0-stable, and had gotten
as far as make buildworld and then tried make kernel=RED which failed. After
that I did what I mentioned in the last mail, i.e.
downloaded the 3.5-stable sources and then make buildworld.

I never at any stage installed either the built 4.0-stable binaries or a new
kernel. My biggest problem is that since the machine is booting in single
user mode, I can't even rebuild the kernel 'coz the file system is
read-only. I have tried booting from an older kernel and from kernel.GENERIC
with the same results.

Any ideas?

.hasta luego

Scott Dukes (scott@kryptonite.co.za)
blue.Kryptonite (http://blue.Kryptonite.co.za/)
.a: 161 Tenth Ave, Morningside, Durban, 4001
.p: +27 31 312 1122
.f: +27 31 312 1122
.c: +27 83 661 3880