Date:      Sat, 14 Jul 2001 19:12:32 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem with 4.3-Release

I have a system running 4.3-Release that is having an interesting
problem.  When I do a massive file copy from one SCSI disk to
another, the system tends to hang up and reboot with no messages
whatsoever in /var/log.  This last time I was in front of the
console.  However it didn't reboot.  This time the copy did complete,
but the console was useless.  Any activity causes the following
message:

/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libc.so.4: Undefined symbol
"xdr_cry=C7e=F1yarg2"

and then the console is useless.  On tcp connections (ssh) I can
login  and run ps.  But who generates the same message.  However, the
prompt returns and you can try again.  grep also results in that
message.  getty for ttyv0, v1, and v2 is no longer active.  The
others are there because I havent tried them yet.  Shutdown generates
the message but at least it does work.  After the reboot, everything
works again.

I just added a new SCSI controller and the disks.  I couldn't
generate this volume of transfer before with only a small IDE drive.
The disks are old and very cranky when starting up.  The system is on
the IDE drive.  Only test data is on the SCSI disks.

Any ideas what might be going on here?
--
-- Doug