Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 11:04:23 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hardware (was: What does "Voxware still supported in 4.0" mean exactly?)

> JUST HOLD ON THERE TEX!!!!!!! The first line of my message was:
>
> > > The following is not venom directed at jkh, or anybody in general--it is an
>
> repeat: "not venom". Also read in my message that I said I *know* that it is
> regularly done (buying hardware and shipping it to developers).

Which is why you ask:

	"shouldn't FreeBSD, Inc. or Walnut Creek itself be proactively
	 shipping willing developers like this all the hardware they
	 can purchase?"

> Read what I said, then post your comments. A more appropriate response would
> have simply been "some older cards are harder to find, if you or anyone within
> earshot of this message has one we could use or buy, please let us know so we
> can continue our regular program of buying hardware for developers." Are there
> posts to freebsd-multimedia/-hardware asking if people have these older items
> they are willing to donate? Might save a trip to Outer Mongolia.

Again, this is the danger of walking into something and making
assumptions.  We've been there and done that (and are there, and are
doing that) already.  If you think that there's something that we ought
to be doing, chances are pretty good that we've already thought of it as
well, and if we're not doing it there's probably a good reason.  8)