Date:      Fri, 7 Sep 2001 17:55:16 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        philip@paeps.cx
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD not parsing rc.conf after make world

--bGR76rFJjkSxVeRa

* Philip Paeps <philip@paeps.cx> [20010907 17:24]: writing on the subject '=
FreeBSD not parsing rc.conf after make world'
| Hi all,
|=20
| I wonder what I might have done wrong to cause this.  I've just CVSupped =
the
| latest stable sources last night, and today I built the world as follows:
|=20
| % cd /usr/src
| % make buildworld
| (loads of coffee, lunch, etc)
| % make buildkernel KERNCONF=3DFORTUNA
| (more coffee)
| % make installkernel KERNCONF=3DFORTUNA
| % reboot
| (single user)
|=20
| # fsck -p
| # mount -u /
| # mount -a -t ufs
| # swapon -a
|=20
| # make installworld
| # mergemaster
|=20
| I told it to install the new MAKEDEV, and merge most of the stuff in /etc=
, the
| sort of stuff I do everytime I make the world.
|=20
| # reboot
|=20
| When my machine booted, I was welcomed by (Amnesiac) before login, as opp=
osed to
| the (fortuna.paeps.cx), which I'm used to.  After a bit of testing around=
 (a few
| changes in rc.conf, followed by reboots), I realised that the system just=
 wasn't
| reading it on startup.  Any ideas what might have caused this?  Probably
| something silly I did, but I don't want to do it again, given the amount =
of
| coffee I have to consume to kill time waiting for it to let me play with =
it :-)
|=20
| Thanks for any help!

You did cp -Rp etc etc.old before doing mergemaster and doing the mergings,=
 yes?
If so,=20

rm -rf etc
mv etc.old etc

reboot.

Then run mergemaster and choose to install all the new files (the temporary=
 ones) except for the files
that you have some customizations on.
I _never_ merge anything myself: I either install the temporary one or dele=
te it. In some cases I leave
for later to compare but rarely.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Wananchi Online Ltd.,

A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his=
=20
mouth.=20

--bGR76rFJjkSxVeRa

--bGR76rFJjkSxVeRa--