Date:      Sat, 7 Aug 2010 11:56:59 +0300
From:      Elias Chrysocheris <eliaschr@cha.forthnet.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ANNOUNCE: Custom 64bit FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE with XFCE packages released

Dear Antonio,

I thing you've messed things up a little bit. The distribution is for XFCE and
of cource you have to use xdm instead of gdm. Installing gdm in your system
also installs much of GNOME as you can see by running

cd /usr/ports/x11/gdm
make all-depends-list

By looking carefully in this list you will find out that you install many ports
of GNOME, like:

/usr/ports/misc/gnome-mime-data
/usr/ports/textproc/gnome-doc-utils
/usr/ports/devel/gconf2
/usr/ports/x11/gnome-desktop
/usr/ports/x11/gnome-menus
/usr/ports/x11/gnome-panel
/usr/ports/devel/gnome-vfs
/usr/ports/x11/libgnome
/usr/ports/x11/gnome-session
/usr/ports/security/gnome-keyring
... (there are many many many more!)

There is nothing wrong with the distribution. If you exactly do what the
README file says you are goiing to have a valid system running XFCE. If you try
to add gdm then you also install much of GNOME also, so you'll not have an
XFCE-only system.

Best regards
Elias