Date:      Mon, 9 Jun 1997 10:13:42 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Joshua Fielden <shag@concentric.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mounting MSDOS Partitions....

Joshua Fielden:
 |....I tried to mount my MS-DOS partition and it gave me many errors and
 |then when I rebooted, only / is found. My first partition on my drive is
 |c:\, my dos partition, then my second partition is BSD. I read the man
 |page but it seemed (to me) to be singularly unhelpful. Could someone
 |please enlighten me as to the correct command line to mount said
 |partition, so I can pull some sources off of it?

Well, I'd suggest the FreeBSD handbook and/or FAQ at:

    http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/docs.html

except that these do a great job of explaining how to mount an extended
partition, but seem to overlook the logical first question of how to mount
a primary.

You probably want:

    # mkdir /c
    # mount -t msdos /dev/wd0s1 /c            (for IDE), or
    # mount -t msdos /dev/sd0s1 /c            (for SCSI).

In general, for determining the device name for any partition, you need to
know:

    1) SCSI or IDE          (first 2 characters are "sd" or "wd", respectively)
    2) Which disk number    (the 3rd character; For IDE,
                                      0 = primary controller, master
                                      1 = primary controller, slave,
                                      2 = secondary controller, master,
                                      3 = secondary controller, slave, etc.)
    3) What slice its on    (1,2,3,4  = primary disk slices
                             5,6,7... = DOS logical drives within an
                                        extended partition)

Note this assumes a few things.  E.g. that you fill up your lower
controllers with disks before adding to higher controllers.  Also that your
disk has slices (e.g. for primary/extended DOS partitions, etc.) and thus
isn't so called "dangerously dedicated".

andall Hopper