Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 1997 10:48:57 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Joachim Kuebart <joa@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
To:        Lance Woodson <lance@cswnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Compiling A Kernel

On 26-Apr-97 Lance Woodson wrote:
>When I am compiling my kernel I edit MYKERNEL.  Then I save it and run
>"/usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL".  I then proceed to type "cd
>../../compile/MYKERNEL" and "make depend".  Everything so far goes well.
>Then, when I type in make, it does it's thing for a very long time and
>then finally says:

>tek390.o: Undefined symbol '_scsi_done' referenced from text segment
>tek390.o: Undefined symbol '_scsi_done' referenced from text segment
>tek390.o: Undefined symbol '_pci_map_int' referenced from text segment
>tek390.o: Undefined symbol '_pci_mechanism' referenced from text segment
>tek390.o: Undefined symbol '_scsi_alloc_bus' referenced from text
>segment
>tek390.o: Undefined symbol '_scsi_attachdevs' referenced from text
>segment
ncr5380.o:  Undefined symbol '_scsi_alloc_bus' referenced from text
>segement
>ncr5380.o:  Undefined symbol '_scsi_attachdevs' referenced from text
>segement
>ncr5380.o:  Undefined symbol '_scsi_done' referenced from text segement
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop.

Your problem is that there is still SCSI and PCI code left that is compiled
into the kernel. Use the LINT file to find and remove ANY SCSI and PCI devices
out of your MYKERNEL file.
If you like you can send me your MYKENREL and I'll have a look at it (use
private mail)..

>You have new mail.

Why don't you read your mail? I like reading mail ;)

>#
>
>I do not have any SCSI devices.  All I have is a 486, IDE Hard Drive,
>1.44MB Floppy, and a DLINK Network Card.  Thank you.

Is there a PCI bus on your system?

c u Jo

FreeBSD                                        <http://www.freebsd.org>;
Top breeders recommend it

Joachim Kuebart                                      <joa@delos.lf.net>
<joa@stuttgart.netsurf.de>          <joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
Germany                                             Tel: +49 711 653706