Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2002 00:29:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Matt Anderson <emattman@cascadeaccess.com>
Cc:        Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>, Adam Weinberger <adam@vectors.cx>, FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: 4.6 Release and USB mouse

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Matt Anderson wrote:
> See Below:
> uhci0: <Intel 82443MX USB controller> port 0x1ca0-0x1cbf irq 15 at device 7.2 on pci0
> usb0: <Intel 82443MX USB controller> on uhci0
> usb0: USB revision 1.0
> uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
> uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
> uhub0: device problem, disabling port 2
>
> On Tuesday 13 August 2002 07:18 pm, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> > What does the dmesg say for the usb0 device? (I have a similar problem,
> > and want to see if it's the same chips).
> >
> > On Tue, 2002-08-13 at 22:13, Matt Anderson wrote:
> > > Ugh, I'm sorry, very hot in my office today and I was not thinking too clearly.
> > >
> > > The optical part of the mouse lights up.
> > > If I try to set the mouse to /dev/ums0 per the handbook, I get no mouse
> > > function.  Further, if I look at the output from dmesg it tells me
> > > there is an error in the USB port and the port is being shut down.
> > > This happens no matter what device I attach to the port.
> > > These USB ports work fine under Linux, Windows, and BeOS.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Matt

> > > Well, now I'm back to having FreeBSD 4.6 release installed.  The computer is
> > > a Fujitsu C Series Lifebook model 6631.
> > > I'm unable to get any USB device to function.  Specifically I'd like to

I sympathize with your woes (when I first went completely WinBloze free
back in Feb 2002, and my to-do list grew longer and longer with getting the
mouse to work, then dhcp, then sound, then...)  :)

My setup is similar to yours.  I use a USB Logitech mouse, but it is a
non-optical wireless scroll wheel mouse.  Nevertheless, /dev/ums0 is the
path to salvation *grins*

In my /etc/defaults/rc.conf (or take away defaults if you'd druther):

moused_enable="YES"     # Run the mouse daemon.
moused_type="auto"      # See man page for rc.conf(5) for available settings.
moused_port="/dev/ums0" # Set to your mouse port.
moused_flags=""         # Any additional flags to moused.

That shud dewwwwwwww-itt.

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder