Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 21:47:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>
To:        Giao Nguyen <giao@learnix.com>
Cc:        Derek Laufenberg <laufen@wi.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Giao Nguyen wrote:

> > Thanks for letting me vent a bit.  I am truely impressed with the quality
> > of FreeBSD.  It has the potential to be a silver bullet, but it needs
> > killer applications - WORD & Excel.
>
> We don't need no silly Word & Excel. We've got sendmail. :)

  If we won't, there will always be presence of Windows on every desktop,
proprietary fromats everywhere and therefore constant threat of complete
Windows takeover even if the number of FreeBSD installations will increase
hundreds of times. There should be a way to do all work without Microsoft
products, and that means even a desktop-only things. Actually originally
Linux-only desktop projects may be of significant help to FreeBSD even if
they won't run on it and will only come with, say, Red Hat (worst
scenario) -- that can bring people _somewhere_ outside of "buy Microsoft"
captivity, and everything but yet another proprietary thing will be
better. I can loudly declare "I am not accepting Word and Excel files in
my email, and everyone whose email I won't see because of those formats
can blame himself", and happily work in Unix-only environment, however a
lot of people can't do the same thing, and it will be nice to help them.

--
Alex