Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2000 01:17:05 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        joseph@randomnetworks.com
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>, Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.ORG>, Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best way to do this?

On Fri 2000-11-17 (09:56), joseph@randomnetworks.com wrote:
> 	Feel free to shot this down if you'd like, but one thing I had
> always wondered about was creating ports for items web software.  Take for
> example phpmyadmin, a web based admin tool for MySQL written in
> PHP.  Right now there's no real way to do a port like this because we
> never know where the web directory is, along with several other
> factors.
>
> 	From the look of it, what you describe above helps this situation.
>
> 	Another thought, these could be extended to /etc/make.conf, which
> would give the whole system a method for keeping track of these
> things.  If you are taking votes, I like $PREFIX/www better than
> $PREFIX/share/apache, but that's just me :-)

I'd previously attempted to get some help on this matter, and given no
feedback except "well, if noone says anything, just make up a rule", I
made up this up: All cgi-bin scripts should install under
/usr/local/www/cgi-bin.default, and other html files and pictures and
stuff should go somewhere under /usr/local/www/data.default.

I was planning on doing an example php application port to show this
off, but I've mostly just done Zope, sqwebmail, and qmailadmin.  See if
they make sense if you need inspiration.  While sqwebmail and qmailadmin
may be bad examples for directories under cgi-bin, I think I like the
idea of directories for things that install more than one file.  If your
port requires something special in apache's configuration file, or if
you expect some functionality besides viewability in
/usr/local/www/data.default and executability in
/usr/local/www/cgi-bin.default, try follow Zope's example.

I haven't got around to making www/cgi-bin.default and www/data.default
part of BSD.local.dist, mostly because nobody really replied to me so I
forgot about it. (:

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner