Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 2008 01:37:56 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Carl <k0802647@telus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel S3210SHLC motherboard and FreeBSD 7.0

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 11:58:24PM -0700, Carl wrote:
> I've had a couple of incidents where pressing the reset button actually
> powers down the server for 5 seconds or so before automatically powering
> back up. Not a big deal, but doesn't instill confidence in this
> motherboard.

This is common on Intel CPU/chipset boards.  It has to do with one
of a couple different things:

1) BIOS: CPU virtualisation support
2) BIOS: Thermal monitoring
3) BIOS: Other BIOS options which I can't remember

I've seen this happen on Intel boards, as well as nVidia Socket 775
boards, and Asus boards.  It's become "normal" in this day and age;
otherwise, see if there's a BIOS upgrade (on Asus boards this usually
fixes it; if you change any of those BIOS options, the hard power-off
will happen once, but from that point on reset will behave like you
expect).