Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 20:28:36 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Charlie Root <vel@ns.kbsu.ru>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ESS 1688 and IPX routing

> > > 	Did you add the PNP option to the kernal?
> > >

> > > 					Rick
> > Yes, I did that, and PnP module detects my sound card, but then sound module
> > says that sb0 is not found at 0x220, same as sbmidi0. Certainly, I have
> > in my kernel config:
> >
> > controller snd0
> > device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
> > device sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x330
> > device sbxvi0 at isa? drq 5
>
> Remove all this and replace it with:
>
> device pcm0 at isa? port ? irq ? tty flags 0x0 vector pcmintr
>
> Rebuild the kernel and try it.

I tried pcm0. When booting, kernel finds ESS card as plug and play, and
says that it will be device pcm1, and pcm0 is not found. However, when I
make device nodes, all devices are linked to xxx0 (dsp -> dsp0, etc.), not
xxx1. So, when I tried to play something, kernel said "pcm0: unit not
configured". I removed those links in /dev and linked all entries to xxx1
manually. After that, when I try to play something, kernel shows strange
errors, like:
<SoundBlaster Pro 3.1>1 open: device busy
timeout flushing dbuf_out.chan, cnt 0xff00 flags 0x00004141
I hear a little noise in speakers at the beginning of play, then hear nothing.

So, my problem is still unresolved :(

And, I also have another problem. How to make BSD act as IPX router ? I have
2 ethernet cards, vx0 and ed0. vx0 is connected to the subnetwork containing
Netware servers, and ed0 is connected to the small subnetwork containing 1
machine under DOS. I did "ifconfig vx0 ipx network_num", with network_num
same as on the Netware servers, and "ifconfig ed0 ipx network_num2", with
some unique network_num2. Then I ran IPXrouted -s. But, when I run ipx and net6
on the DOS machine, it doesn't see Netware servers. Maybe I should fill routing
tables manually, like "route add" for IP ?

---
Eugene L. Vorokov <vel@ns.kbsu.ru>
Kabardino-Balkarian State University, Russia.