Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 08:15:08 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is simplicity despised? WAS: What do we need in a FreeBSD desktop?

On Tuesday 06 August 2002 12:29, John Bleichert wrote:
> This was meant more as kudos and accolades to the designer(s) of
> /stand/sysinstall, not a rant about dumbing down the installer. Sorry
> about that. Bringing in new users is always a good thing, I'm just not
> convinced ramping down the installer is the way to do that.
>
> Iff the new user has compliant hardware (and has checked to see) then the
> 'instant-workstation' option is an excellent idea. I guess you'd still
> need to ask for passwords, IP info ...
>
> Ah, my first cup of coffee ...
>
> JB
>
> On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, John Bleichert wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 08:17:46 -0400 (EDT)
> > From: John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
> > To: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
> > Cc: Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> > Subject: Re: Is simplicity despised? WAS: What do we need in a FreeBSD
> >     desktop?
> >

> > Nobody will ever convince me there's a better wm-agnostic editor than
> > nedit for a new user.
> >
> > Also, does anybody really want the FreeBSD installer changed? Maybe the
> > addition of an 'instant-workstation' install would be ok, but in my IMHO
> > /stand/sysinstall is the best installer out there.
> >
> > Installers should only be *so* easy. Hobbyists who want to try out new
> > things should be willing to break it a few times. People who want
> > butt-simple installs should just ask somebody else to do it.
> >
> > Sorry, I know I'll probably get flamed for that, but the thought of a
> > click-through win9x install for Unix makes me ill. The linux installers
> > are just this side of nasuea ...

Talk about top posting and confusing threads along with massive quoting:

The topic of a new installer has been going around since I started using
FreeBSD in 1995.  I've come to the conclusion that it must be as good as it
need to be.  If we needed a new installer, someone would've cobbled one up by
this point.  In the last few weeks, I've done a slackware install, a debian
install, a FreeBSD install, a solaris 9/sparc install, a netbsd/i386 and
/sparc install, and an openbsd install.  In my opinion, the FreeBSD installer
is as good as any of the others that I used, and I'm trying to be objective
here, since FreeBSD is my first love.

My main reason for not wanting a new installer is I don't think it would fit
on to two boot floppies, and I do a lot of ftp installs on machines that have
no need for a cdrom.  I have piles of floppy drives and not so many cdroms,
so being able to boot the mini-root from floppy fairly easily is a nice
bonus.

Josh