Date:      Sun, 17 Jul 2016 11:59:32 +0200
From:      David Demelier <demelier.david@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: High CPU temperature and high fans level

> On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 00:06:07 +0200, David Demelier wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was trying FreeBSD 10.3 on my laptop (hp probook 4510s) and was surprised
>> to see high CPU temperature and fans running high.
>>
>> No apps running, I get a temperature of 57C in dev.cpu.x.temperature and
>> fans run high (not able to get rpms).
>>
>> On a 4.6.3 Linux distro I get an average of 48C and fans are quite low.
>>
>> Both tests were kept in tty. No Xorg running just a boot and user login in
>> console.
>>
>> Do you have any clue?
>
> Did you enable powerd? It can slow down the CPU when the system
> is idle, and increase the CPU speed when needed. This should have
> an effect on CPU temperature and fan speed.

Yes, I had powerd enabled, I tried -a adaptive, -a hiadaptive as
suggested by Erich but it seems that only -a min has some little
effect. I could get a temperature of 52C. I've tested back on Linux
and I got an average much lower (41C).

By the way the other sensors in hw.acpi.tz* are also much higher than
Linux (using lm_sensors). The highest value is my tz5 which is at 78C
almost 5 seconds after boot while the maximum tz value in Linux
sensors is 55.

I have no idea what's wrong. :(

--
Demelier David