Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 1995 10:44:18 -0700
From:      ketchers@math.berkeley.edu (Richard Ketchersid)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ketchers@math.berkeley.edu
Subject:   geometry problem

I am trying to install FreeBSD-2.0 on an IBM Aptiva. This machine has the
following geometry cyl:524 hd:32 sec:63, but the controller reports
(1048,16,63). When I use the boot disk somewhere in the middle of its screen
I see:  wd0:can't handel 32 heads from partition table(controller
                value 16 restored)
By the way the controller is `eide'?--Now ignoring this I proceed. I set up
partitions using fdisk when I try to `write' I get
         wd0:can't handel 32 heads from partition table(controller
                value 16 restored)
        writelable:MSP with no BSD part
O.K.-Well I'll just change the geometry using (G)eometry-seems to work.
Now I write with no problem. In fact I make it through the label screen
and proceed without problem.-Time to reboot.

First I reboot to DOS and use pfdisk to see what I've done. It shows
that my new section has "#...phys=(1048,15,63) should be phys=(524,31,63)"
This doesn't seem good. But I reboot anyway. It again seems to work.
Then at the end of the boot we have:
        ?:can't find init
        panic:no init

Then it reboots my computer in 15 seconds.-I'm at a loss. I think all
these problems are do to the confusion about the number of heads. I have
no idea how to get the setup to make wd0 handle 32 heads-it seems like the
BIOS should overrule the controller.(I did contact IBM and they said
that this conflict between controller and BIOS is common-I believe the guy
he was really into Linux and wanted to try out FreeBSD too. He suggested
that I wipe my hard drive and make sure that BSD is the first patition?)
I only have 524M so it seems that the boot area should be falling in the
correct place-I thought I would try to get some advice from tou before
wiping my hard drive again-it is a pain.

---My question ends here below is just one last probably irrelevant detail---

If I don't change my geometry as I mentioned above and proceed I get the
following message which repeats and can only be stopped by turning off the
power:
        wd0f:wdstart:timeout waiting to give command writing fsbn 64 of 64-79
            (wd0 bn 382240;cn 189 tn 19 sn 19)wd0:statud 0 error 1<no_dam>

Sorry for the length, but thanks for the help!
Richard Ketchersid
ketchers@math.berkeley.edu
3211 Brunell
Oakland CA 94602