Date:      Sun, 7 Aug 2005 12:30:03 -0500
From:      linimon@lonesome.com (Mark Linimon)
To:        "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: /usr/portsnap vs. /var/db/portsnap

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 01:59:27PM +0200, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> I don't really think that is a big problem, especially if the default
> /var size is increased so it doesn't happen to total novices using
> default install.
>
> If it turns out the be a problem, I think it would be better to have
> portsnap warn the users when /var runs full e.g. with a URL to the FAQ
> that describes how to work around the problem.

I think we bought the /var size problem years ago, whenever the first
use of /var/db was made.  I don't think portsnap is going to be the
make-or-break deal that having e.g. the default mysql location is --
certainly not enough to break with this standard usage.

Now, whether we can do a better job with the defaults, and educating
users, is another story :)

mcl