Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 2004 23:05:59 -0400
From:      Jason Parker <new90@verizon.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Connecting to the internet

Hi, I am building a server as a learning experience (for now at least).
I am using a SOYO SY-K7VME motherboard which has a built in ethernet
port (sysinstall identifies the ethernet port as VIA Rhine, which I
believe the default install supports), and am behind a Linksys BEFW11S4
wireless router. The server is connected to the switch on the back of
the router via an ethernet cable. Because I was having trouble
installing FreeBSD using the FTP downloads, I bought a "Teach Yourself
FreeBSD" book with an installation CD for 4.7.  So, when I install
FreeBSD I am asked to browse the package collection, which I do, and
choose the links browser, the lynx browser, and the bash shell. When I
reboot and run either of the browsers I get a message saying "Host not
found."  To ensure there was nothing wrong with my motherboard, I
installed Linux Fedora over FreeBSD, and had no problems connecting.  I
also called my ISP and asked for the Host and Domain, which they told me
they don't use, and suggested I leave the space blank, which sysinstall
won't let me do.  I do have a domain name but it is currently hosted on
a shared server so I don't believe (?) I should be entering it here.
So, can anyone help or offer some direction?  Why can't I connect to the
internet?  Thanks.