Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 2014 13:45:17 -0500
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-toolchain@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-dtrace@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: WITH_CTF vs -g

Hi Andriy;

Il giorno 10/set/2014, alle ore 12:23, Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org> ha =
scritto:

>=20
> In my opinion WITH_CTF should imply -g in CFLAGS otherwise, as far as =
I can see,
> there is nothing to generate CTF data from.  Forcing an end-user to =
remember to
> additionally pass -g is not nice.
>=20

My understanding is that CTF is meant to be a debugging format =
independent of DWARF,
so it should be especially useful for the cases where there is no =
debugging information.

Just like Illumos, we haven=92t really made much (or any) use of CTF =
outside the kernel
but now that is an option:

http://dtrace.org/blogs/rm/2013/11/14/userland-ctf-in-dtrace/=20

> Also, I think that we can always have -g in CTFFLAGS, because the =
stripping step
> takes care of the original DWARF data in any case.  But I am not 100% =
sure about
> this.
>=20

> What do you think?

BTW, it would be nice to see what we can take from the CTF/DDB GSoC [1]. =
I understand
the BSD-licensed CTF library has advanced greatly but still needs more =
work.

Pedro.

=1B[1] =
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/soc-status/2014-August/000870.html