Date:      Sun, 03 Aug 1997 12:36:09 -0300
From:      Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued

> Like 3270 emulators, highly-device specific user-level code like
> "stlload - Stallion Technologies multiport serial board down loader",
> and an X-10 home automation daemon?  You've stepped out on to a very
> slippery slope here, and ultimately it's a judgement call and a
> matter of taste.

Agreed.  I, for one, would rather see tcsh installed instead of csh, and
I'd also rather have perl5 installed as the default perl, and only
additionally install perl4 on the rare machine where there is some
arcane script that really only runs under perl4.

While I have no need for xten now, I might later, and I'd rather install
it later.

I can also see the need for keeping a "system profile" somewhere, so
that site-wide and even machine-specific package can be stored so that
a re-install can be performed with minimal interaction.

Now to wait and see how soon before LDAP becomes more generally useful.