Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:53:18 -0400
From:      Jonathan Arnold <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with USB Palm sync

Anish Mistry wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 October 2006 23:22, Jonathan Arnold wrote:
>> Anish Mistry wrote:
>>> First you shouldn't be using usbd.conf.  You should be using
>>> devd.conf and devfs.rules.
>>>
>>> Disable usbd.
>>>
>>> Add to devd.conf:
>>> attach 0 {
>>>         device-name "ugen[0-9]+";
>>>         match "vendor" "0x082d";
>>>         match "product" "0x0100";
>>>         match "release" "0x0100";
>>>         action "/usr/local/sbin/pilot-sync-ugen.sh $device-name";
>>> };
>>>
>>> Setup devfs.rules if you have yet to do it:
>>> http://am-productions.biz/docs/devfs.rules.php
>>>
>>> Add your user to the operator group or change the mode to 0666
>>> below. Add to devfs.rules:
>>> add path 'ugen*' group operator
>>> add path 'ugen*' mode 0660
>>>
>>> In /usr/local/sbin/pilot-sync-ugen.sh:
>>> #!/bin/sh
>>> #
>>> JPILOT=/usr/X11R6/bin/jpilot-sync
>>> JPILOT_USER=your_username_here
>>> export JPILOT_HOME=/home/$JPILOT_USER
>>> PILOTPORT=usb:/dev/$1
>>> COMMAND=`echo $JPILOT -p $PILOTPORT -b`
>>> # run command ie. (sync)
>>> /usr/bin/su $JPILOT_USER -c "$COMMAND"
>> Thanks, this seems to work a little better.  Now, when I hit the
>> Hot Sync button on the cradle, I get the feedback that there's a
>> connection and it says "Identifying user" on the Visor, but it just
>> hangs there and eventually gives up. If I comment out the action
>> and try it from the commandline, pilot-xfer says " Listening for
>> incoming connection on usb:/dev/ugen0... ". It seems to me that
>> both are waiting for the other to initiate something. ugen0 doesn't
>> get created until I hit the HotSync button, but the pilot-link
>> stuff seems to be waiting for that to happen again?
> You'll need to install the user:
> # install pilot-link username
> COMMAND=`echo /usr/local/bin/install-user -p $PILOTPORT -u
> $JPILOT_USER -i 1001`

I thought it might be something like this, so I played quite a bit last
night trying to get this command to work, but still no joy in mudville.
I replaced the jpilot-sync COMMAND line with the install-user one, but it
still does the same thing. I press the hot sync button, I get the confirmation
that a connection was made from the Visor, but both ends just sit there at
that point.

I feel like I'm ever so close and am just missing one tweak to push it
over into usability.

BTW, what is the 'uvisor' driver for? Should I be trying to use this one
instead of the 'ugen', which is the generic interface?

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold@buddydog.org)
Daemon Dancing in the Dark, a FreeBSD weblog:

UNIX is user-friendly. It's just a bit picky about who its friends are.