Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 07:29:42 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        connecte@sprynet.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP address assignment

On Tue, Apr 14, 1998 at 06:56:18PM -0400, Justin M. Seger wrote:
>    How/where do I configure the IP address for the NIC?  I didn't see
>    anything in the kernel setup, which is understandable, but is there a
>    startup script that I can edit so the IP address that I need is static
>    on the card?
>
> Hi.  This kind of question should be sent to questions@freebsd.org, please
> send all further questions that don't relate to FreeBSD-current (FreeBSD 3.X)
> to that address.
>
> Look in the file /etc/rc.conf, the ifconfig lines do that for you.

What OS version ? It's important, since the config file name
has changed from /etc/system.conf to /etc/rc.conf, to have a
uniq name scheme for config files.

Maybe you should have a look at Greg Leheys new book
"The Complete FreeBSD", which is a 500 page tutorial and
the rest of it a manpage, ports, ... reference. It comes
with the FreeBSD-2.2.6 CD-ROM and should help you in the
process of setting the system up for network and such.

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm                             http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
What gives you 90% more speed, for example in kernel compilation ?