Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 18:36:13 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Narrow SCSI controllers, and using WIDE drives with them

"Justin T. Gibbs" writes:

> > Yes, it is possible to buy adapters. No, it won't work. As a general
> > rule wide HD's will not fall back to a narrow connection. Wide
> > controllers are forced to fall back and handle narrow devices as a
> > special case.
>
> You should really read the SCSI spec.  All transfers are narrow
> unless a properly negotiated wide connection is established between
> target and initiator.  On many IBM devices there is a jumper that
> prevents the device from initiating wide negotiation, but this has
> no effect on the device's ability to handle 8 bit transfers should
> a negotiation attempt fail.

I shouldn't have unconditionally stated a wide HD will not work on a
narrow SCSI controller. I should have listed the exact model wide
Seagate 2G drive (it was a Sun OEM, I could probably find the drive if
it matters) that would not work on my 2.2.5 system with Adaptec 2940.
Actually, it never got as far as BootEasy. The drive was probed and ID'd
but negotiations failed there and the system hung.