Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 2004 16:36:30 -0800
From:      John Fox <readbsd@mind.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Simple port forwarding question

Hi, folks.

I'm experimenting, trying to setup a situation where connections
to port 25 on machine A are forwarded to port 25 on machine B.
I've read the ipfw manpage and it looks as though what I'm doing
is correct.

The IPFW rules on machine A are:
   00100 fwd machineB tcp from any to any 25
   65535 allow ip from any to any

And there is a sendmail listening on B's port 25.

But when I telnet to machine A's port 25, all I get is
a perpetual "Trying" message that just sits there.

Machine A's kernel has the following IPFW options built-in:

options IPFIREWALL
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=30
options IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
options IPFIREWALL_FORWARD

Any clues as to what I'm doing incorrectly would be greatly
appreciated!

--
John
| Beneath the noble bird, between the proudest words, | jfox @ mind.net |