Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 23:43:28 -0700
From:      "Garhan Attebury" <firebug@eoni.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   kernel.conf (contains di commands for devices that don't exist)

I'm a new FreeBSD user (RELEASE 4.0) and I just built a custom kernel for
the first time this morning.  I removed various devices which I didn't need,
compiled it, and booted with it.  As far as the actual kernel build goes,
everything went fine.  However, I noticed that there were a lot of the
following errors when I rebooted...

config> di sio1
Invalid command or syntax. Type '?' for help.

This happened for all the devices I took out of the kernel (serial, ISA
Ethernet, and SCSI stuff --- the device nodes aren't in /dev anymore, so I
get errors).  Being as the kernel was working just fine and dandy, I figured
these commands were from one of the conf files.  After a while, I found all
these commands were what was in /boot/kernel.conf.  I also found that
/boot/defaults/loader.conf was what was calling the kernel.conf.  I then
found the userconfig_script_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf, and set that to
"NO".  This fixed all the config> di errors I was getting.  My questions are
as follows:

What created kernel.conf in the first place?  I was thinking that the Kernel
Configuration Utility (the visual mode interface) was what created/modified
it, but when I tried saving the configuration from the utility, kernel.conf
didn't change.  I read some things which also suggest this is true, and if
it is, is there a way to get the utility to 'update' kernel.conf and only
include info for the devices in the kernel?  Or did I just miss some step in
configuring a custom kernel somewhere?

Also, if there isn't anything that creates/modifies kernel.conf, is there
anything wrong with what I did (set userconfig_script_load="NO") or removing
all the "di [device] entries from kernel.conf?  Thanks for any help on this
in advance.