Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:01:43 -0500
From:      Eric Thornton <ewthorn2@eos.ncsu.edu>
To:        Anis Badri <anilinet2k@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ed0 does not appear

	I have 2 smc EZ isa cards that work great. If you know the addresses and
irq, then just boot the kernel and when the 'waiting to boot hit ENTER'
prompt comes up, type boot -c to bring up the config program. Highlight
visual-mode and then browse though the menu till you find the network driver
"ed0". Then, specify the correct settings for the card and exit with save.
when the kernel loads, you should see the card recognized automatically(use
the command dmesg if you need to look at the message after you boot).

	However, if you're not sure of the cards specifics, it is slightly more
difficult.  The trick is you have to go to SMC's site and download thier
"EZStart" program, it should be in the drivers section. The ulgy part is, you
have to run it from DOS or Windoze. I just used my roomate's win98 machine to
make a boot disk specifically to run it. Reboot, start the program and
configure the card to whatever you like, or whatever irq you know is
availiabe in your system (again-check the kernel boot message to see what is
taken). Then save the settings to the cards 'ROM' and reboot back to BSD and
run the boot -c step as above.   It took me a while playing with the memory
addresses and irq's to work, but when it finally is recoginized by the
kernel, run '/stand/sysinstall' and run though the NIC setup. Reboot one last
time and you should be up and running.

Eric