Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 13:52:06 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Jeffrey Hsu <hsu@FreeBSD.org>, smp@freebsd.org, tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: socket buffers and condition variables

* John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> [020528 13:21] wrote:

> On 28-May-2002 Jeffrey Hsu wrote:
> >   > Reduce contention upon locking a socket buffer by replacing tsleep() and
> >   > wakeup() with a condvar.
> >
> > I'd prefer if we waited until we had the networking stack all locked up
> > before measuring and deciding that there is enough contention on socket
> > buffers to warrant this change.
>
> I don't really see how this change avoids contention anyways.

The stuff we talked about... using the mutex associated with the
condvar rather than the schedlock to protect the cv's wait queue.
Basically reduce contention on the global wait queues and schedlock.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
Tax deductible donations for FreeBSD: http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/