Date:      Sat, 10 May 1997 19:11:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        Jeremy & Beth <jnbbend@frontiernet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vs. Linux

On Sat, 10 May 1997, Jeremy & Beth wrote:

> I'm currently a CS student and we've been using the Sun System V OS. My
> quick question is - what would be the closest match to System V,
> Slackware Linux or FreeBSD?  Is there a difference in the applications?
> or is it just a matter of the kernel?

Linux is more similar to SVR4 than FreeBSD is.  FreeBSD is a "pure" BSD,
while Linux has some BSDisms and some SVR4isms.

FreeBSD and Linux have different applications and kernels, though FreeBSD
can run Linux apps.

Really, though, neither Linux nor FreeBSD is much like Solaris, except
insofar as they're all unix.  (Linux isn't officially unix but if it walks
like a duck . . .)

> Thanks in advance,
> jeremy

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."