Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2007 02:06:52 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@kuzbass.ru>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Artem Kuchin <matrix@itlegion.ru>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Canonical 4.x to 6.x upgrade docs?

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 09:30:01AM -0800, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> If memory serves me right, Artem Kuchin wrote:
> >
> >> Has anyone succeeded in doing a 4.x -> 6.x upgrade from source without
> >> upgrading first to 5.x as an intermediate step?
> >

> > tried twice - did not work, but going to 5 and then to 6 was not a problem.
> > But i suspect than going from older 4.x to newer 5.x (like 5.4) might not work
> > and it might need another round of upgrade lile 4.x - 5.1 - 5.4 - 6.2
> > I don't kwow for sure.
>
> What's the basis for your suspicion?
>
> 5.X releases up through and including 5.4 included a migration guide
> (written mostly by me) with step-by-step instructions on migrating from
> 4.X.  I don't recall any widespread problem reports from people when
> following these directions correctly on migrating from 4.X to 5.4.  And
> I'm fairly sure that a number of the FreeBSD.org machines were upgraded
> using exactly this procedure (4.X to 5.4, then 5.4 to 6.X).

I've found a description of direct 4.x -> 6.x remote upgrade method
(in Russian): http://ark-devil.livejournal.com/2007/02/04/

Here comes a translation:

/*****************************************************************************
Hail those that make the sunset by hands, ski'd and standing in hammock (c) DE

1. Install a loader of 6.x
2. Install a kernel of 4.x into /boot/kernel
3. Install GENERIC of 6.x into /boot/kernel6
4. Install mfsroot.gz with utilities into /boot/mfsroot.gz
5.

echo 'mfsroot_load="YES"' > "/boot/loader.conf"
echo 'mfsroot_type="mfs_root"' >> "/boot/loader.conf"
echo 'mfsroot_name="/boot/mfsroot"' >> "/boot/loader.conf"

6.

echo 'nextboot_enable="YES"' > /boot/nextboot.conf
echo 'kernel="kernel6"' >> /boot/nextboot.conf
echo 'vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:md0"' >> /boot/nextboot.conf

Now reboot. The loader will try to boot the kernel6
and, if successful, run sshd from mfsroot. You should now log in
remotely and perform upgrade as you like. If not successful,
the system will boot 4.x after power-cycle and you have another chance.

Eugene Grosbein