Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 2004 08:44:22 +0100
From:      Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
To:        trorki@area51.capnet.state.tx.us
Cc:        freebsd-current@www.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD64 -current ISOs and cvsup repository: Was: Re: -currentISOs and update cvsup sites for AMD64?

trorki@area51.capnet.state.tx.us wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>

>>On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 10:50:11AM -0600, trorki@area51.capnet.state.tx.us
>>

>>>I've looked at snapshots.jp.freebsd.org and snapshots.se.freebsd.org
>>>and can't find a recent snapshot ISO to get -current for AMD64.
>>>Am I missing the directory, or what?  Someone please let me know where
>>>to get a recent ISO
>>>

>>The above site; talk to the admins about why they're not being
>>produced (probably it's just an oversight).
>>

>The last AMD64 -current ISO on snapshots.se and snapshots.jp was in
>October, if I'm looking at the right directories.  A month and a half is
>hardly an "oversight", since October isn't even in the 6.0 timeframe.
>Maybe terminology has changed since summer, but all the -current
>sources peter out at the end of October, and no 6.0 build seems to
>have ever worked on snapshots.se, to judge from the log files.
>I'd like some help with AMD64 -current, yes AMD64 6.0-current.
>Am I making this clear???
>
>I haven't played with -current since before the switch to 6.0
>as -current, so the last ISO I used (and still have) is a 5.x-current
>from July.

Then I'd update to RELENG_5_3 first, and then cvsup to HEAD.

> I want a clean AMD64 6.0-current ISO to start with, and that
>would presumedly be AFTER November 05, preferably very recent...
>

>>>, and where I should point cvsup for the updates.
>>>

>>Updates to what?  amd64 isn't different from the other architectures;
>>you can read the documentation on using and configuring cvsup in the
>>handbook, and if you have further specific questions then ask them
>>then.
>>

>The information isn't IN the handbook, or is obscure.  If it was
>there to read, I wouldn't have asked the list.  Duh.
>Since I mentioned cvsup you might/maybe get the idea that I know
>how to use it.  Duh.

You like that word, eh ?
;-)
The snapshot-servers have, TTBOMK, nothing to do with the cvsup-servers.

>Since I can't find the snapshots where they are expected,
>they might be somewhere else, and I'd probably need to cvsup from
>somewhere else, too, which is why I asked.  Duh.

That's why Kris talked about the handbook.
To an outsider, it is not clear if you are making a fool of yourself or
just want to fool around and insult people.
Or if you are really a fool ;-)

>Would somebody that actually uses -current on AMD64 tell me
>how to get a recent ISO, and which servers are carrying the
>AMD 6.0-current branch so I can cvsup updates?
>
>Please don't reply to the list if you don't know what the hell
>I'm asking about.

I'm not using AMD64 (If I had the hardware, I'd use it though) and I'm
not using current either (used to, but now it's called 5_3-stable), but
it is my understanding that you can just
 - cvsup to RELENG_5_3
 - perhaps cvsup to RELENG_5
 - then cvsup to current
 - with make buildworld etc-cycle between the cvsups.

At least, at this point in time, where RELENG_5 and HEAD are not very
much different like with RELENG_4 and RELENG_5.

You can then make your own snapshot - with an AMD64 it should only take
an hour or so ;-)

Correct me if my assumptions are wrong.

Rainer