Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 00:22:28 +0000
From:      Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
Cc:        Kulraj Gurm <kulraj@microbiz.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bandwidth tracking

There is ALTQ as well with altqstat. And some graphing tools
around this. ALTQ is nice if you don't want to just sit there
and watch you bandwidth problems but do something about them.
For instance, set WFQ or class based queueing. Works beautifully.

If, however, you don't want to monitor use but test available
bandwidth, use tcpblast, netperf, netpipe, or, if you are
interested in automated UDP-streaming test probes, use my new
tool "udpblast". I need to put it up on my web site soon.

regards
-Gunther

Nick Rogness wrote:

> On Wed, 23 May 2001, Kulraj Gurm wrote:
>
> > What is the best way to track bandwidth? Any and all ideas welcome.
> > Can bridging help?
> >
> > What we have is :
> >
> > 1.    Cisco router on wall supplied by telco
> > 2.  Main FreeBSD 4.3-Stable box hosting client sites, three NIC's in
> > this machine
> >         i. First to switch connected to cisco
> >         ii. Second to switch serving our internal 10.0.0.0/24 network
> >         iii. Third doing nothing yet ............. - been thinking
> >               about bridging for a while.
>
> > 3.  co-lo client boxes, for which we need to monitor traffic - these
> > can be attached to first switch or whatever seems to be the best way
>
>         MRTG.  A great little graphic bandwidth reporting package.  It's
>         in the ports.
>
>         There is also a neat little shell script, bandwidth tool that
>         someone (I think DES) posted to the list a while ago.  It involved
>         netstat in combination with another graphic building app (can't
>         recall the name).
>
> Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
>  - Keep on Routing in a Free World...
>   "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!"

Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistent Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine