Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 13:32:54 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        KESHAV TADIMETI <tadimetikeshav@usa.net>
Cc:        freeBSD-questions@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: new (and scared!!)

On Wednesday, 28 March 2001 at 11:54:17 +0000, KESHAV TADIMETI wrote:
> Hello,

> I am trying to come to grips with FreeBSD. I have a FreeBSD (version
> 2.2.5).  (Here in SIngapore it is hard to find FreeBSD
> distributions).

Contact Harish Pillay at the LUGS (Linux User Group
Singapore,http://www.lugs.org.sg/).  He has a number of 4.2-RELEASE
sets to give away.  You shouldn't be messing with 2.2.5 any more.

> I have the following questions:
> 1. Is this reserved for experienced UNIX professionals - I mean the
> installation?

No.

> FreeBSD requires that we supply the IRQ numbers.

That's only for ISA cards.  Nowadays you don't need it.

> My BIOS has IRQ detection set to AUTO mode. Does anyone have a pdf
> version of the 'HANDBOOK'.

Check the web site.  There's one somewhere.

> For those who do not have an internet connection, it can be a
> harrowing experience to install w/o a manual.

You should have come to my tutorial last week at the Singapore
Convention Centre :-)

> 2. Performance-wise is it better than RedHat based clones?

We believe so.

> 3. If no,why choose FreeBSD at all?

We also believe it's more reliable.

Greg