Date:      Fri, 01 Jan 2010 17:45:33 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Remote assistance for X

--------------enig928E3B5CED87243F09F47185

Warren Block wrote:
> A remote computer used by relatives is running FreeBSD and X.  I'd like=
=20
> to find a method to work with the remote desktop to help them solve=20
> problems and maintain the system.
>=20
> The remote user's existing desktop should be shared, rather than=20
> creating a new session.
>=20
> Traffic and passwords should be encrypted.
>=20
> The remote system could be on dialup, so faster is better.
>=20
> The remote system should initiate the connection so there's no need for=
=20
> the remote users to change firewall settings.  Also no security concern=
=20
> when the software isn't being used.
>=20
> So far, ssvnc and x11vnc look to be the only combination that meets the=
=20
> requirements.  Are there others?

x2x sounds like it fits the bill:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Dx2x&manpath=3DFreeBSD+Ports+7.=
0-RELEASE

The home page for x2x is at http://x2x.dottedmag.net/ but it seems to
be having a few problems at the moment.

Note that this sends X protocol traffic across the net without encryption=
, an
action that is at least as bad, and in fact, probably rather worse than u=
sing
an unencrypted rsh or telnet session.  Best to wrap everything in a SSH o=
r ipsec
tunnel.

	Cheers,

	Matthew