Date:      Sat, 1 May 2010 03:14:49 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        osp@aloha.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I am new to BSD

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:34:52 HST, osp@aloha.com wrote:
> Best thing is to agree to install ports collection during OS installation.
> This does not install all sourcecode, just the index. The traditional way
> to install is cd to the port folder and do make, make install, make clean.
                               ^^^^^^

Forgive me that I do mention this, but please use the correct
terminology. FreeBSD has directories, not "folders". It also
has files, not "sheets of paper". :-)

> cd /usr/ports/net/asterisk
> make
> (get a snack)
> make install

Get another snack while run dependencies are installed. :-)
Okay, Asterisk is not that "problematic" in terms of time
consumption.

> I prefer to use portinstall and portupgrade.

The tool portmaster is also worth looking at.

> Be sure to use portsnap to freshen up your ports tree and when you add a
> new port to an existing system do a portupgrade -a first so what you
> already have is up to date.

Also keep your package database in good condition using "pkgdb -aF".

> Be sure to read /usr/ports/UPDATING before you update anything.

Additionally, read "man 7 ports" which gives many helpful
information about how ports work, which make targets are
supported and which means of configuration you can use
to optimize the whole process for you.

> Have fun!

The most important hint! :-)

--