Date:      Sat, 24 May 1997 18:56:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Ian Wynne <ianw@lyear.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp auto mode

On Sat, 24 May 1997, Ian Wynne wrote:
> I'm using FreeBSD 2.1.6R. My question is with iijppp ppp, ie user mode ppp.
>
> When I envoke ppp in the "-auto" mode, where is supposed to dial out when it
> detects a packet on the out going interface, it only seems to dial when there
> is an out going UDP packet such as a routed packet. Telnet and ping don't seem
> to initiate dialling.

I have no problems with ijppp -auto on my home system.  It's at 2.2-R
right now but was 2.1.5 and worked fine there too.

Without digging into the source I'd allow that  you may be right since
most connections start with a named request which is UDP.

Are you running your own name server?  Bad idea on a dialup unless
you *really* know what you are doing. (not a slam, just a comment)
If you are running your own server, remove any entries for off-site
machines from the zone files.

Any other symptoms?  Lots of people use ijppp with no problems.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com