Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 1998 15:04:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      "David G. Andersen" <danderse@cs.utah.edu>
To:        Brian Handy <handy@lambic.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CCD question

Lo and Behold, Brian Handy said:

> That's a lot of space to lose.  I'm the sole user of this ccd, and it's
> just for data and figures and paper-writing activities and data analysis
> stuff -- any suggestions on how I should set this up to take advantage of
> as much space as possible, without causing myself problems down the road?
> I've seen various threads discussing this, but I don't think I understand
> the issues well enough to make a very informed decision.

   It's not really a CCD question, but a newfs question.  When you
newfs your disk partition, supply a different percentage free by using

newfs -m <free space %>

  Luckily, you can also adjust this post-newfs'ing using the tunefs
command (`man tunefs`).

  tunefs -m <free %> <filesystem>

But keep in mind, as the tunefs man page says:

    Settings of 5% and less force space optimization to
    always be used which will greatly increase the overhead for file
    writes.

Happy tuning.

   -Dave

--