Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 08:03:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        ****@***.com, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: You might want to know this!

>From: "Mike" <****@***.com>
>Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 06:28:02 -0600

>    I wasn't aware that posting on here was so public.

??!?

>If you go to Hotbot and search your screen name any postings you have
>posted here at FreeBSD will show up.

I'm not at all sure what is meant by "screen name," but that sounds like
a term that folks would associate with immature individuals on a BBS.

Many of us, in some sense, may well warrant the term "newbies", but
there are certainly some of us who never got involved in BBSs...  and
there are some of us who -- chronologically, at least -- aren't of an age
that one would reasonably associate with immaturity.  (Just had another
birthday recently....  :-)

>Just so everybody is aware of that before announcing to the
>whole world what kind of system you're running.

Get used to it.  Over in -questions, the vast bulk of queries will
require that you mention significant aspects of the system configuration
in order to begin to isolate the nature of whatever problem you're asking
about.  (Thank the oxymoronish concept of "PC standards" for this.)  The
"penalties" for failing to include that information range from private
inquiries through public humiliation to ignoring your query altogether.
(Well, the ordering there may warrant alteration, depending on your
perspective at the time.)

But the salient matter remains:  in order for people to assist you, they
need to have a clue as to what is wrong and what is likely to have
contributed to it.  Hiding the information does no one any good.

More critical (to me) though, was that when I saw that there was a
message purporting to be

>From: "Mike" <****@***.com>

in my mailbox, I figured it was Yet Another spam.  And had begun the
usual hunt for likely perpetrators (and accessories) before I realized
it was merely a post from misguided individual.  (I report spam (as a
form of resource abuse) to the purported custodians of said resources.)

So to the extent that you want to be taken seriously, I strongly recommend
that you drop the silly "<****@***.com>" non-address.

Cheers,
david (who's in -newbies because PC hardware is twisted and bizarre)
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915