Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 2004 15:36:44 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   My desktop travails, 2: Glacially slow X.org

--nextPart1748814.vncYj8zJPY

I recently consolidated my underloaded FreeBSD personal web/nameserver with=
=20
my underused Debian workstation by scavenging all of the good hardware from=
=20
the Debian machine into the FreeBSD system and installing X and KDE on the=
=20
result.  My first migration glitch was configuring my 7-button trackball,=20
but that's working now and I'm ready to tackle the next project.

The new server/workstation is a Thunderbird 1.4GHz with 1.25GB of RAM and a=
=20
GeForce 2 MX 400 graphics card.  I'm running OS 5.3 (built today), and all=
=20
ports up-to-date (as of Sunday).

Basically, many X features are painfully slow - much slower than they were=
=20
on the old Debian system with the same graphics card, less RAM, and a=20
P-III/933 CPU.  The biggest example is text scrolling with anti-aliased=20
fonts.  I used to enable subpixel rendering on my square-pixel CRT and it=20
looked beautiful.  FreeBSD and X.org renders the fonts as nicely, but I can=
=20
physically watch the screen being updated every time the screen scrolls in=
=20
Konsole.  I can switch back to aliased fonts and get reasonably fast=20
scrolling, but the text looks ugly and I'd rather not resort to that.

Also, although I'm using the nvidia-driver port, glxgears reports a=20
framerate between 2 and 3.  I've tried using both Nvidia's AGPGART and=20
=46reeBSD's own (following the instructions that came with the port and=20
rebooting between trials to unload the agp.ko kernel module).

So, any idea why my text rendering and GLX are so painfully slow?
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser