Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 17:56:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <doug@safeport.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        grog@lemis.com
Subject:   Re: Anyone resolved "Missing operating system" issue?

Questions:

1) What version of DOS, or does any version work? I don't think I have anything
   other than 7.0 (windows 95) which has created a problem for me with dosemu
   etc.

2) It would seem that this suggests a problem with the install?

To complete the info on my Latitudes, from stand/sysinstall:

Disk name:      Disk name:      da0                                    FDISK
Partition Editor
DISK Geometry:  48389 cyls/35 heads/21 sectors = 35565915 sectors

    Offset       Size        End     Name  PType       Desc  Subtype    Flags

         0   35566501   35566500    da0s1      3    freebsd      165    C>

The following commands are supported (in upper or lower case):

A = Use Entire Disk                             C = Create Slice
D = Delete Slice       G = Set Drive Geometry   S = Set Bootable
T = Change Type        U = Undo All Changes     W = Write Changes

Use F1 or ? to get more help, arrow keys to select.

This is a 3.4/PAO install that works. 4.0 would not work on the same
machine. With a DOS type master boot record the other Dell looks sorta like:

Disk name:      Disk name:      wd0
DISK Geometry:  256 cyls/197 heads/63 sectors = 3177216 sectors

    Offset       Size        End     Name  PType       Desc  Subtype    Flags

         0         63         62               6     unused        0
        63    3177153    3177215    wd0s1      3    freebsd      165       C=

This one I had to type in 'cause I am having troubles getting it on the network,
but 4.0 was installed w/o any problems as long as I did not choose the single
partition option. In that case when I used sysinstall to try to write a boot
record, the "w" did not appear on the screen, but was accepted. It had no
discernible effect.

Installing with the "default" partitioning worked flawlessly.

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, george vagner wrote:

> yup seen this before...
>
> i just did a "fdisk /mbr" from DOS and all was well upon rebooting, didnt
> even have to reinstall freebsd.
>
> this was on a brand new drive from WD.
>

> one catch you must have only one drive installed.

_____
Douglas Denault
doug@safeport.com